Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are the Tories falling apart in Scotland ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are the Tories falling apart in Scotland ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

See this article from The Scottish Daily Record Online:

Scottish Tories in chaos as party's top donor pulls the plug on leadership frontrunner Murdo Fraser

By Magnus Gardham

A tycoon who is the Tories' biggest donor in Scotland yesterday refused to back a new-look party.

Sir Jack Harvie put the boot into the plans by leadership frontrunner Murdo Fraser.

And he warned him that he should not come to him for any financial help for a breakaway right-wing group.

Fraser told supporters a new direction was vital because the existing Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party "will never succeed in its current form".

But Harvie, who channels hundreds of thousands of pounds into the Tories through an organisation called Focus On Scotland, torpedoed the scheme.

He said: "There certainly has been no approach to us from the UK Conservative Party to consider redirecting funding to Mr Fraser's separatist group.

"Nor do we expect one. Nor would we be likely to react favourably to any such approach. Nor would we entertain any direct approach from Mr Fraser.

"Those Scottish Conservatives not wishing to follow Mr Fraser into his separatist political group can expect Focus On Scotland to continue funding the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party."

Harvie said Fraser's plan was "presumptuous" and accused him of "scandalising" the party.

And in a final broadside, he told the Mid-Scotland and Fife MSP there would be "no place" in the Tories for him in future.

Fraser, who is up against Ruth Davidson and Jackson Carlaw in the battle to replace Annabel Goldie, gave more details about his new-look party yesterday.

He told supporters: "Now is the time to face the truth. The Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party is failing.

"It is failing as a vehicle for the promotion of the values we stand for. And it will never succeed in its current form."

He added: "I can tell you that among existing donors to the party, there is a deep sense of disillusionment that the money that they have given in recent years has not been well spent."

But Carlaw said the plans were "reckless" and that Harvie had dealt them a "fatal blow". He added: "This proposal is dividing the party rather than uniting it."

Labour MP Margaret Curran said: "Changing their name isn't going to make people suddenly think all the Tories stand for is OK. People haven't forgotten what they did last time."

There has been speculation that the new party will be called the "Scottish Progressives".

It looks as if the Tories in Scotland are about to rip themselves apart after Murdo Fraser had suggested that the Scottish Tories should break from London and go it alone.

It is obvious that Fraser is aware that the Tory standing in Scotland has hit an all-time-low and that if they want to make any headway in the future they are going to have to start to look like a Scottish Tory Party and not simply an add-on to the London base.

I was not surprised that this idea received terrible reviews from the centrist Tories as they obviously do not like the idea of the party fragmenting for the sake of some kind of better success in Scotland.

From my point of view I see this idea of Murdo Fraser as a very dangerous move for the rest of the political parties up here as this could just do what the traditional Tory framework has been unable to do for a very long time. With this in mind it is actually good that the London Tory grandees and their financial supporters are doing exactly what I expected them to do; resist this radical idea with a vengeance.

What say you ? ( All opinons are welcomed on this threadstart subject ).

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Are the Tories falling apart in Scotland ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

I think they have already fallen apart don't you ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

Yes Zath' they are fast "falling apart" in Westminster after already "falling apart" in a big way in Scotland.

I honestly think that Murdo Fraser has had a very good idea in reforming the Scottish Tories - and separating them from London - in an attempt to get back to their previous glory up here.

After Annabel Goldie's demise as Tory leader up here, to me there is only one way for the Scottish Tories to go: root and branch reform and Murdo Fraser's idea is a good first step in that direction.

Of course as a left-of-centre Scottish Nationalist and previous Scottish Labourite I would not like Fraser's plans come to fruition as if they did the Tories might get dangerous up here again. I think, mind you, that I can depend on the London bosses to kill off Fraser's ideas PDQ and that would be one potential worry off my mind.

Anybody ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

As I would fully support total independence for both Scotland and Wales, I really think London should butt out!

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

Well said HG ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In fact, I think that if a referendum was carried out to ask that question in BRITAIN I bet that there would be a ground-swell of opinion for ENGLISH Nationalism too.

I have always thought that each of the "nations" of the United Kingdom need to have autonomy so that while they keep their own sovereignty they can ensure that no single governance from London can dictate to each of the British nations what they should do, think about and control while they are deciding their own destiny within a strong United Kingdom and a greater United States of Europe.

THAT is my vision of the future for Britain !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 12:55 pm