Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Speed cameras not working !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Speed cameras not working !

Post by papa_umau on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

Ministers fear that thousands of cameras have served only to raise millions from motorists, rather than improve safety.

The findings, from an initial sample of 75 local authorities, will prompt the Government to call on every council to publish detailed information on each speed camera site, including accident rates and how much has been raised in fines.
    Ministers hope that local authorities will succumb to pressure to remove the controversial devices if the information does not demonstrate that accidents have been cut.

Mike Penning, the road safety minister, said: For the first time we are shining the light of transparency on the performance of speed cameras.
    People want to know that if their tax money is being spent on speed cameras that they are actually making their roads safer, not just raising money.

Read more about it HERE.

Of course we all know this already don't we ?

We have been telling those money-grabbers for years that speed cameras don't actually cut down on accidents, but nobody would listen. Maybe they will listen now eh ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Speed cameras not working !

Post by zathrus on Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

It's interesting that they are finaly admitting this.

Now, can we expect these spies being reduced in numbers I wonder ?

I did notice in the newspapers yesterday that they are talking about increasing the numbers of number-plate recognition cameras on motorways. They say that this is to aid crime-statistics gathering and to help to catch crooks.

I don't know as I always wonder if these machines have more than one advertised use.

Paranoid ? Maybe !
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Speed cameras

Post by Technician on Thu 25 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

Hi All,

I think we have known about this scam for a long while now. I am not against such devices, but they have been used in many cases as a cash cow. I live in Lancashire on the Fylde coast, and recntly my local council have taken one down !!. However in nearby Blackpool the situation is chronic. They are hell bent I feel on keeping this as the best contender for the speed camera capital of Lancashire.

Cameras in the town are like an urban rash; and the sole intention is to rip off as many people as possible in the shortest space of time. God, the place as got little going for it these days in any case unless you like larger louts, drugs, prostitution and benefit scroungers.... Or you are an avid speed camera spotter !.

For those who doubt this just take a trip down the '7 golden miles' of promenade and spot them. I think there is a whole new batch of civil servants who spend the day sending out speeding tickets. I have a mate who is a lawyer in the town and he says they are litigation mad...seems he is right on that one !.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

Yeah Technician, it has taken a while but they are eventually looking as if they are recognising how we feel about these hi-tech highway-robbers.

It is also good to find that even the officials are now admitting that they only raise money and don't really help cut down on road accidents.

Zath'....

Thanks for pointing out the new registration-plate-reading cameras as I also wondered what their real reason for existence was also.

The most insidious of speed cameras now in use are the averaging cameras that work over quite long distances so that those that are caught speeding are caught over a longer distance than those caught under just one camera. Maybe those cameras are still making enough money to keep them going. Twisted Evil

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

It's just Big Brother I tell yer ! Mad

With those kinds of cameras they can keep an eye on all of us and not just the crooks or the car thieves.

Everywhere I go these days I get the uncanny feeling that someone is watching me.

In fact it was published recently that Britain is the most surveilled country in the world.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 12:54 pm