Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Fat-cat NHS consultants' obscene bonuses.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Fat-cat NHS consultants' obscene bonuses.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

While we are all being forced to tighten our belts in these days of austerity it seems VERY WRONG to me that certain already very-well-paid people should get obscene bonuses that we cannot really afford to pay.

Worse still is the fact that the people I am talking about here are the already-overpaid consultants in the cash-strapped British NHS.

Here is a report that I found in my Sunday newspaper this morning:

"Docs' 100m bonus" ( Source: The Scottish Sunday Mail ).

Scotland's top doctors have been paid more than 100million in NHS bonuses in the past four years.

More than 500 consultants received "distinction awards" - worth up to 75,000 per year each - ON TOP OF their already-swollen basic salaries.

These bonuses were paid despite 700 nursing posts being cut in Scotland alone between September last year and March.

Lib-Dem Health Spokesman, Alison McInnes, said: "While nursing posts are being cut right, left and centre in Scotland the government are still paying out a massive amount of money in consultant bonuses each year.

The SNP government said: "Under the previous administration spending on "distinction awards" increased by 60 percent but under THIS government, distinction awards have been frozen since 2009, resulting in a saving of almost 3million".

Comment.....

We have to make note that this report only concerns Scotland and that the same "Distinction bonuses" are still being paid to NHS consultants in England Ireland and Wales.

I can only imagine what the total figure might be for all of the NHS in Britain.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: Fat-cat NHS consultants' obscene bonuses.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

What the hell is "distinction awards" any-road-up ?

After all they get enough money paid to them for doing their job already. Surely they should always be working to levels of "distinction" if they are as good as they say they are ?

I mean, I am a teacher and I always try my best when teaching my charges and I don't get any more money for doing the job well, so why should they ?

I bet that the nurses under them don't get any "distinction awards" even although these are the people that should be getting any such awards.

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

If they save lives then they are worth every penny surely? How many teachers are sacked for being useless? Until you are proven to have some real worth to society then any bonus is just wishful thinking.

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

Clapco wrote:If they save lives then they are worth every penny surely? How many teachers are sacked for being useless? Until you are proven to have some real worth to society then any bonus is just wishful thinking.

CC

How many "distinction awards" do YOU expect - or get - for doing your job well ?

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

I am not a doctor/surgeon so what is your point?

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

My point ?

My point is....Why should doctors or surgeons get paid TWICE for doing the job they are already getting paid very well for ?

I am sure that many people who do difficult or exacting jobs might like a bonus too but it is only a very few people in British society that are paid these ridiculous sums on top of their ordinary - and already high-level - salaries.

If you are unable to see that then I already know I am wasting my time and efforts talking to you.

Maybe you are just looking for an argument where there is no defendable argument or reason for such obscene payments ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm

No they shouldn't be paid twice for doing the job they are contracted for. many doctors have a private practice outside the NHS, in addition to their hospital work.

This is rampant greed.

Cheers HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

It certainly is HG and the quicker they realise that that is what we think the quicker they might stop doing it.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:52 pm