Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Pensioners versus BBC TV's Question Time............Why was my supportive letter removed from the online site of Exeter's Express & Echo ?

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Pensioners versus BBC TV's Question Time............Why was my supportive letter removed from the online site of Exeter's Express & Echo ?

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

Directly below is a letter concerning National Pensioners Convention pensioners complaining about the lack of representation of their generation on the Question Time Panel generally, care of The Express & Echo Exeter.

Below is a response written by me in support of members of The National Pensioners Convention and Question Time's negative attitude to the nation's pensioners. Just recently my letter was removed. Why ?

Pensioners to protest at Question Time visit
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Exeter Express and Echo
    PROTESTORS are planning a demonstration when the BBC visits Exeter tomorrow to record a show for Question Time.

The University of Exeter is expected to be the venue for the show and the panellists are still to be confirmed.
    But the National Pensioners Convention has announced it will be participating in a "peaceful protest" at the Exeter recording.

The organisation, set up to promote the welfare and interests of all pensioners, as a way of securing "dignity, respect and financial security in retirement", says it has been trying to secure a slot on the panel of the popular programme for some time.

A spokesman said: "We have been trying for the past 18 months.
    "During 2010 we were told that our request was likely to be successful but we have not heard anything more since the show changed its editor.

"Our argument remains a simple one – Britain's biggest and most representative pensioners' organisation should have the opportunity to appear on Question Time so that we can express the views and concerns of millions of older people.
    "At a time when pensioners are facing massive challenges from cuts in pensions, care and other public services, it is vital that we have the opportunity to get out message across.

That is why we will protest outside the recording until the organisation stops censoring the legitimate voice of the pensioners' representatives."

A spokesman for the BBC said the organisation was unable to comment on the protest.
    Question Time was first broadcast on September 25, 1979, and offers British voters a unique opportunity to quiz top decision-makers on the events of the day.

David Dimbleby is the current host of the programme, formerly fronted by Sir Robin Day and Peter Sissons.
    Each year, some 30,000 members of the public apply to join the debate by being in the studio audience.
    The panels are drawn from significant figures in politics as well as industry, the media and entertainment.
    Exeter has provided the venue for the show on several occasions including in 2006 when it was broadcast from the Exeter Phoenix.

Panellists on that show included Exeter's Labour MP Ben Bradshaw, former leader of the Liberal Democrats Lord Paddy Ashdown, Michael Ancram MP, the former deputy leader of the Conservative Party, Dame Pauline Neville-Jones and broadcaster Janet Street Porter.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Regarding your May 25th article headed “Pensioners to protest at Question Time”

As a person of non pensionable age, and having been campaigning for UK pensioners for over 20 years, the BBC TV media have let down UK pensioners big time.

Because since the pensions and earnings link was cut by the Thatcher Governmenty in 1980, around 30 years ago, pensioners issues have indeed been fundamentally buried by the BBC tv media, including the concernable issue of the dire basic State pension in this country, the poverty, and the ultimely deaths among pensioners during the winter months in this country.

Regulars to BBC TV’s Question Time, will know that the programme not only deals in topicality, but also that the programme is rigged, I know, ive been in the audience.

David Dimbleby says at the beginning of each programme that the audience asks the questions, and what a slight of hand this is, because it’s the BBC programmers who initially select the questions the audience have to choose from to then ask the panel.

Question Time is supposed to represent Democracy, it does’nt, because the programme is dictating to the audience the questions to be asked, and so in all my years watching this programmne, Britain’s pensioners have been fundamentally ignored, in short, UK pensioners have rarely had any political or media representation on Question Time, the media in general, or from the politicians.

UK pensioners are without doubt the forgotten generation, particularly those old enough to have taken part in World War 2.

Well I hope this protest in Exeter makes it’s mark, and I write as a now 63 year old member of The National Pensioners Convention//////

[/size][/size][/size]

Last edited by Ivanhoe on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Pensioners versus BBC TV's Question Time............Why was my supportive letter removed from the online site of Exeter's Express & Echo ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:51 pm

Sorry Ivanhoe, I am somewhat confused.....

From WHERE was your letter "removed" ? as if it was published here, I - as the active moderator - have removed nothing in the last few months, and certainly nothing that you may have written or published recently.

If you published something here and you checked that it was authorised to be left as-is then it should still be where you put it. Have you maybe lost it, as that sometimes happens when there are many entries and responses in five different sub-forums.

If I had removed anything like that I would have replaced the deleted section with a reason for deletion in bold text. I do not work in any other way.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Re: Pensioners versus BBC TV's Question Time............Why was my supportive letter removed from the online site of Exeter's Express & Echo ?

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 7:08 pm

papa_umau wrote:Sorry Ivanhoe, I am somewhat confused.....

From WHERE was your letter "removed" ? as if it was published here, I - as the active moderator - have removed nothing in the last few months, and certainly nothing that you may have written or published recently.

If you published something here and you checked that it was authorised to be left as-is then it should still be where you put it. Have you maybe lost it, as that sometimes happens when there are many entries and responses in five different sub-forums.

If I had removed anything like that I would have replaced the deleted section with a reason for deletion in bold text. I do not work in any other way.

Sorry Pap my mistake.

My response letter was removed from the Exeter, Express & Echo online site.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

Thanks for clarifying that Ivanhoe as I would not like the readers of ROB thinking that I am the kind of moderator that just "removes" ( deletes ), stuff without any explanation as to why this might have been be done.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

papa_umau wrote:Thanks for clarifying that Ivanhoe as I would not like the readers of ROB thinking that I am the kind of moderator that just "removes" ( deletes ), stuff without any explanation as to why this might have been be done.

Pap, It's sorted now.

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

It did say which site in the title Paps.....

Little note to Clapco.....

This was done as an edit - and a correction - by Ivanhoe after my comments.

Papa.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:52 am