Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

I have just received this email from my Tory MP

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

I have just received this email from my Tory MP

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 30 May 2011, 8:30 pm

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Im sorry that you are disappointed by my reply but I am trying to reflect the reality that not all winter deaths are related to hypothermia and it would be simplistic to assume that increasing the cold weather payments would eradicate the problem. There are significant differences in excess winter deaths within European countries and these do not correlate with temperature or with fuel subsidies so clearly further research is needed. I am not dismissing this issue and do think that providing decent home insulation to reduce temperature variability and make heating more efficient are measures that the Government is improving with the Green Deal.

As to the level of the State Pension, this is a matter of affordability. Thankfully we are all living longer so there is a relative increase in the retired population compared to those of working age who can support the cost of pensions and this, on the background of our financial crisis means that the pension cannot be further increased at present.

We will have to agree to differ.

Yours
    Sarah Wollaston
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: I have just received this email from my Tory MP

Post by papa_umau on Tue 31 May 2011, 12:26 pm

While not wishing to get too political about this response, I am afraid that I have to.

Ms Wollason IS a TORY and like most Tories she finds it easy to blame the situation that the elderly find themselves in, on themselves and she is not willing to take any responsibility for that situation.

While she is right that not all winter deaths amongs the elderly can be directly contributed to the cold, ( many of these deaths are as a result of diseases that are also prevalent in winters that the elderly are more susceptible to, like Influenza and Pneumonia and bone-breaking accidents due to slipping and falling etc' ), but in many cases the cold DOES contribute to these other reasons for death even if it is not directly responsible via the hypothermia that easily sets in and kills many elderly people.

The stance that she took that a decent pension is connected to "affordability" is another stance that is regularly taken by the Tory types as she and her cohorts are just unable to see that this cause should be based on need and not on expense alone. They - the Tories - always find it easy to find the money for fighting wars, or sending billions of pounds to third-world aid or to bail out EU states when they get into trouble, or to maintain an anachronistic nuclear deterrant that there is now no use for, but they seem not able to put the plight of their own poverty-stricken pensioners into the correct priority-rating.

It is my opinion that she and the rest of the Tories should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves in this respect.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

Something tells me that comprehension was not your strongest subject at school.

Her letter makes perfect sense and as to her politics what does it matter? Are tories incapable of rational thought? If your answer to that is yes then you are a bigot and what you post is not a discussion.

Everyone dies in the end and simply upping the cold weather payment on its own is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. As to pensions the money has to come from somewhere - thanks to Gordon Browns MASSIVE economic mismanagement the cupboard is bare. Fortunately for you Cameron is actually just following his policies with his 'cutless cuts'

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

Not wanting to get into a slanging match with you Clapco but the word "bigot" is a rather nasty and extreme word to use here even if you say that early in your piece and then you sound like one as you attack the political corpse of Gordon Brown.

That "perfect sense" you speak of has to be evaluated in terms of how much money is available to this or any other government and what the prorities of that government might be. It is easy to say that the money IS there, it is just being spent in areas that many of us do not agree with. The old maxim of the pensioners now becoming larger in numbers just because they now live longer does not equate with whether they should have a decent state pension or not after paying their taxes for all of their lives.

All that Ms Wollason is saying is that her Tories are not prepared to give the pensioners the priority that they deserve as they throw good taxpayers money after grandiose schemes instead of doing what they are supposed to be in power to do: look after the weak and the sick and the elderly before they spend any money elsewhere.

Someone once said that "a measure of the level of civilisation of any society is how well that society looks after it's poor, it's sick and it's old". Surely that maxim is easy to understand ?

Britain - under the present Tory coalition and the last New-Labour government - did not get that balance right and it is about time that we made them start to think about such priorities in the future.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

Funny but that's not how it read to me - you mentioned her political affiliation. If she was black would you mention that too? She says more money is not the answer and that more research is needed. Again I would suggest that is reasonable.

As to people living longer again this is true so the numbers are increasing. Equally so the amount of money available is going down so that is reasonable.

Another killer of the old is heat - should pensioners get an air conditioning allowance?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

Clapco wrote:Funny but that's not how it read to me - you mentioned her political affiliation. If she was black would you mention that too? She says more money is not the answer and that more research is needed. Again I would suggest that is reasonable.

As to people living longer again this is true so the numbers are increasing. Equally so the amount of money available is going down so that is reasonable.

Another killer of the old is heat - should pensioners get an air conditioning allowance?

Yes, you can read into that what you will, but I say that mentioning a person's political persuasion has nothing whatsoever to do with the colour of their skin. To analogise the two is ridiculous.

It is a fact that more money IS going to be needed to enable the growing population of elderly people to have a decent retirement. That is a given !

What is up for debate is; where is this money going to come from ?

The reasonable ones in our society say that this money should come from the ones that can afford it so that the present populace are all giving - pro-rata of their earnings - enough of an equal-share to looking after the frail and the sick and the old in our society. That is the way that any civilised society is supposed to work.

The money IS there, all that needs to be done is to get it from those that can afford it and to pay it to the ones that need it in the order of priority that is correct.

All the rest of the rhetoric from right-wing politicans is simply obfuscation and dogma-driven resistance against doing what is right.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

Sorry m8 - my analogy was too blunt for you obviously. Presumably you are OK not describing her sexual orientation, religion or age, but her political persuasion makes her beliefs untenable?

My point is that it matters not what the persons clothing is - what they are saying is what is up for debate.

Only a bigot would dismiss someone's opinion because they were of the wrong colour political party.

That my friend is where you are.

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

I will say again....as I said above....one cannot equate one's skin colour with one's politics as politics sets itself up for debate while arguing about the value of skin-colour is ALWAYS a bigoted thing to do.

People who choose to take any political path have to be able and willing to defend that action as all political stances are at risk of getting bogged down in rhetoric and dogma. ( Incidentally, religion falls into that category too as these two conditions are conditions of CHOICE ).

To attempt to illustrate this idea all I can say is that it does not matter if a Tory or a Labourite or a Liberal democrat or any of the other members of the rainbow parties is black, white, green, spotty or stripey, because so long as their politics is consistent, then they are going to have to defend the chosen political stance they take.

I wonder if you are beginning to get this or not ?

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

Hahahaha you missed the point twice

You are RED

I am BLUE

Which has nothing to do with the letter she wrote!

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

Clapco wrote:Hahahaha you missed the point twice

You are RED

I am BLUE

Which has nothing to do with the letter she wrote!

My MP is a Tory, her political affiliated colour is the samne as yours, so your political affiliation is part responsible for the mess this country has been in since Thatcher decimated it. Ha Ha.

Politicians dont get in to power by themselves, people vote them in.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

Political "colours" are very subjective and even if you are right they have nothing whatsoever to do with skin-colour or ethnicity.

As I said before....People are born into a skin-colour or an ethnic background but sentient people CHOOSE which political bent they follow.

OH...and BTW...if I was to be any "colour" I would be tartan. ( A green one in fact: The Graham of Menteith, tartan, to be precise ). Cool

Isn't it nice ?

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

papa_umau wrote:Political "colours" are very subjective and even if you are right they have nothing whatsoever to do with skin-colour or ethnicity.

As I said before....People are born into a skin-colour or an ethnic background but sentient people CHOOSE which political bent they follow.

OH...and BTW...if I was to be any "colour" I would be tartan. ( A green one in fact: The Graham of Menteith, tartan, to be precise ). Cool

Isn't it nice ?

Better than "blue".
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

I don't know why people connect colours to political or religious persuasions as I like blue but I am not a Tory and I also like green and I am not a Celtic supporter or a Catholic either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:35 am