Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12466
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 22 May 2011, 12:56 pm

"Divide and conquer" is an old trick of the politicans and I think that so long as we know they are doing - or trying to do - this they won't ever do it to any real effect.

Of course you are dead right Ivanhoe, that the mark of a civilised society is how "they" - the powers in that society - look after their weak, their sick and their old. Do not expect any Tory government to think like that, as I certainly won't.

I am hoping that if Ed Miliband reforms the Labour party this will be one of the actions he will do first; that of getting back to the roots of the Labour movement and starting to treat these vulnerable groups as they should be treated: with a bit of humanity.

Papa......

jim

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2011-05-19

Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

Post by jim on Sun 22 May 2011, 7:58 pm

Hello Papa/Ivanhoe
    This is the full quote

It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.
    Hubert H. Humphrey

It is good that you have had a reply from your MP .So many MPs seem to be disinterested in the plight of pensioners.

I have been looking around the internet and found a pensioners forum who are running a campaign for better state pensions .
    In two months with the right tactics ,they have managed to be invited to be part of the Select Pensions Committee Meeting at the House of Commons tomorrow .That is an incredible achievement and shows what can be done !
    They use the Hubert H. Humphrey's quote in their campaign letters !

Jim

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 23 May 2011, 11:23 am

Hi again Jim...and thanks for the full quote. I just use the more "punchy" shortened version as it does not need a lot of reading for it to get through.

That is good news about the "pensioners forum" - who are running the campaign for better pensions. You didn't say who they were or where we could find them as I for one would like to give them some support too.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 23 May 2011, 2:24 pm

jim wrote:Hello Papa/Ivanhoe
    This is the full quote

It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.
    Hubert H. Humphrey

It is good that you have had a reply from your MP .So many MPs seem to be disinterested in the plight of pensioners.

I have been looking around the internet and found a pensioners forum who are running a campaign for better state pensions .
    In two months with the right tactics ,they have managed to be invited to be part of the Select Pensions Committee Meeting at the House of Commons tomorrow .That is an incredible achievement and shows what can be done !
    They use the Hubert H. Humphrey's quote in their campaign letters !

Jim

Hi Jim, and based on my own 20 years experience being in the pensioners corner they will allow themselves to be patronised by government and media telling us all that an ever aging population is now a problem.

Can you give us all the link to this site please ?

jim

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2011-05-19

Post by jim on Mon 23 May 2011, 2:57 pm

Papa/Ivanhoe
    http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/
    I am going to join to give them my support.
    If you read the postings , regarding the campaign you will see that certain members led by the moderator have researched the subject thoroughly .They can put forward a strong counter argument as to why and how the state pension should and could be increased !

Jennie

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2010-10-25

Post by Jennie on Tue 24 May 2011, 2:10 am

jim wrote:Papa/Ivanhoe
    If you read the postings , regarding the campaign you will see that certain members led by the moderator have researched the subject thoroughly .They can put forward a strong counter argument as to why and how the state pension should and could be increased !

I lurk on the pensioners forum along with this one and I like the headway they are making and the idea of a bank protest is really good and I would be up for it. They seem to have joined forces with other pension groups and now represent over a million pensioners maybe ROB should join them. Looking at the information on the site they are certainly a force any government cannot afford to ignor
    Back to lurking
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 24 May 2011, 12:16 pm

Hi Jim and Jennie.....

It is a while since I wrote anything to the Pensioners Forum even although I am still a member of that site.

I will certainly go there are see what is being said about "The Pension" so that I too can give them my support.

I am sure my mate Ivanhoe will go too ! ( And maybe even a few others from ROB ).

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 25 May 2011, 11:49 am

jim wrote:Ivanhoe
    The facts and figures are an important part of your letter.
    Without a reference from where these costings came from , to state them is meaningless. You must be able to back up any argument ! Any MP or person that you sent the letter , would ask you the same .
    To get annoyed by other forum members questioning your facts & figures totally destroys your good intentions .

//////Any MP or person that you sent the letter , would ask you the same . ///////

Any MP would already know.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

jim wrote:Papa/Ivanhoe

I take it you mean "active" support ?
    Admin
    Owner & Editor in Chief
    Owner & Editor in Chief

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2008-08-19

Post by Admin on Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

Message from the forum owner and administrator

I have deleted the last eight postings in this thread - between Jim and Ivanhoe - as they have decended into invective and unsult and have drifted away from the topic.

I would ask all contributors to ROB to stick to the topic and to try not to be insulting towards each-other in the future.

I would also like to instruct everybody - including Jim - that the use of proper names in this mostly anonimous forum-set is strictly FORBIDDEN.

No further correspondence will be entered into concerning this matter !

Paul R.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem !
    ( Eldridge Cleaver - Black civil-rights activist ).

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

Angie baby wrote:A good letter Ivanhoe. Mind you I think that the political types already know much of that and they are shoving the issue to the backs of their minds.

People like you and Papa should keep nipping at their heels if you want fair play as pensioners.

I too will join the pack in about twenty years ! I love you

Ivanhoe.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

Sorry Ivanhoe but I do not allow any advertising of THAT site here on ROB as I have discovered that an extreme rightist cabal over there get their own way to the detriment of other more moderate opinions.

Give it a wide berth as you will suffer if you don't !

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:58 am

papa_umau wrote:Sorry Ivanhoe but I do not allow any advertising of THAT site here on ROB as I have discovered that an extreme rightist cabal over there get their own way to the detriment of other more moderate opinions.

Give it a wide berth as you will suffer if you don't !

Please accept my pologies Pap. I should have known better.

I'm already suffering, but I like to try and make these right wing creatures see the wood for the trees.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

As I see it, if you only have one wing you are going to be a very strange bird.

Then again, thinking more about it, that is just what the Tories do isn't it: fly round in every decreasing circles until they disappear up their own backsides.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

Angie baby wrote:As I see it, if you only have one wing you are going to be a very strange bird.

Then again, thinking more about it, that is just what the Tories do isn't it: fly round in every decreasing circles until they disappear up their own backsides.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Nicely put Angie Baby.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Ha Ha....Angie, you are such a wag !

Never thought of it like that before but it must be true that any political party that - like a bird - only has one wing, it will find that it will not be able to fly at all.

Maybe that is why today's major political parties always try to cover the middle ground when they attempt to trick us into thinking that they are actually quite moderate in their views.

Anyone that watches the Tories closely will see - behind that plausible front - a party and government that are just as hard right wing as they have always been.

They are NOT fooling us even if Cameron might think that his easy-going persona is working in this direction.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

papa_umau wrote:Ha Ha....Angie, you are such a wag !

Never thought of it like that before but it must be true that any political party that - like a bird - only has one wing, it will find that it will not be able to fly at all.

Maybe that is why today's major political parties always try to cover the middle ground when they attempt to trick us into thinking that they are actually quite moderate in their views.

Anyone that watches the Tories closely will see - behind that plausible front - a party and government that are just as hard right wing as they have always been.

They are NOT fooling us even if Cameron might think that his easy-going persona is working in this direction.

I think Cameron is fooling many people Pap, even on this site.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Sorry Ivanhoe, I cannot agree that Cameron is fooling many people as even if some of them are still driven by old-fashioned Tory dogma many of them are now feeling abused by these draconian cuts.

Remember that even after New-labour left a terrible inheritance for the country the Tories could not gather enough votes to manage a majority in the House of Commons and after a couple of desperate years where everybody in Britain - exept Cameron's particular pals - are feeling the pain of recession I am sure that even these hardened Tory supporters are now looking for a real and plausible "third way".

I strongly feel that as the Liberal Democrats have been decimated by their abortive coaliton with the Tories they can no-longer be seen as the "third way" any more.....and that just leaves a refreshed and radical Labour party to fill the vaccuum that will be left when the the coaliton dies at the next general election.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

papa_umau wrote:Sorry Ivanhoe, I cannot agree that Cameron is fooling many people as even if some of them are still driven by old-fashioned Tory dogma many of them are now feeling abused by these draconian cuts.

Remember that even after New-labour left a terrible inheritance for the country the Tories could not gather enough votes to manage a majority in the House of Commons and after a couple of desperate years where everybody in Britain - exept Cameron's particular pals - are feeling the pain of recession I am sure that even these hardened Tory supporters are now looking for a real and plausible "third way".

I strongly feel that as the Liberal Democrats have been decimated by their abortive coaliton with the Tories they can no-longer be seen as the "third way" any more.....and that just leaves a refreshed and radical Labour party to fill the vaccuum that will be left when the the coaliton dies at the next general election.

""I strongly feel that as the Liberal Democrats have been decimated by their abortive coaliton with the Tories they can no-longer be seen as the "third way" any more.....and that just leaves a refreshed and radical Labour party to fill the vaccuum that will be left when the the coaliton dies at the next general election""

I sure hope you are right Pap. But I still feel there are many still with their heads in the sand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:15 am