Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

    A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Share

    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Wed 04 May 2011, 2:30 pm

    Dear Sarah Wollaston,

    This is virtually an informal letter, but based on a very serious issue, care Steve Webb MP, Minister Of State For Pensions of the Liberal Democrats.

    I refere to your letter to me of April 27th 2011. Our ref: TN
    MM3569/ER.

    Please read as follows, from the Daily Mail, a right wing supporting paper. Last November.
    “Nine pensioners died from cold EVERY HOUR last winter as bill prices soar”
    By Sean Poulter, Consumer Affairs Editor

    Last updated at 10:51 AM on 24th November 2010

    Nine elderly people died every hour from cold-related illnesses last winter against a background of soaring energy bills.
    Official figures show the number of deaths linked to cold over the four-month period reached

    25,400 in England and Wales, plus 2,760 in Scotland.

    Charities and energy company critics claim the UK has the highest winter death rate in northern Europe, even worse than much colder countries such as Finland and Sweden.

    Winter worries: More than 300,000 UK pensioners have died of cold related illnesses since 1997
    There are fears the toll could rise this year following a recent barrage of price rises that may frighten elderly people into not turning on their heating.

    Heated issue: Pensioners see rising fuel bills and worry about whether they can afford to warm the house

    While the UK death rate is high, the total was down by around 30 per cent compared with 2008/9 because there were fewer flu outbreaks, according to the Office for National Statistics.

    Dot Gibson, of the National Pensioners Convention, said: ‘Since 1997 we have lost more than 300,000 pensioners during the winter months because of cold-related illnesses, yet the Government seems incapable of acting. No other section of our society is so vulnerable and treated so badly.
    ‘Pensioners see rising fuel bills and are constantly worried about whether or not they can afford to put their heating on.’

    She added: ‘Around 3.5million pensioner households are spending more than 10 per cent of their income on fuel bills and are living in fuel poverty.’

    The Coalition government has kept the last administration’s Winter Fuel Allowance payments of £250 for pensioners and £400 for those over 80.

    But the allowance should be raised, said Miss Gibson, adding: ‘What these people need now is more money so they can avoid having to decide whether to heat or eat.’
    DEADLY COLD SNAP

    The death of 90-year-old Margaret Titchmarsh showed how cold weather can claim the lives of elderly people.

    Former nurse Mrs Titchmarsh, who suffered from dementia, died from hypothermia after wandering away from her care home, in Halifax, West Yorkshire.

    At the inquest into her death, Halifax coroner Roger Whittaker concluded her death was accidental but 'contributed to by neglect'.

    She was wearing only a thin summer dress, cardigan and slippers when she was found dead - on one of the coldest nights of the year in January 2007

    Maria Wardrobe, of the charity National Energy Action, said: ‘Britain still has the highest number of excess winter deaths in northern Europe which is a national disgrace, and more needs to be done to tackle the problem of fuel poverty.

    ‘Those most at risk to the effects of cold weather must not have to make a choice over whether to heat their homes or end up ill and in debt to their energy supplier.’

    Dave Timms, from Friends of the Earth, said: ‘Living in a cold, damp house can make heart disease and strokes more likely. It’s a disgrace that millions of vulnerable people in Britain live in homes lacking basic insulation.’

    He said the Government’s Energy Bill, which is to be published next month, should include a programme to insulate all the nation’s homes.

    ENERGY BILL RISES
    Energy providers have announced big rises in prices this winter.
    • Scottish Power is increasing electricity bills by 8.9 per cent.
    • Scottish & Southern Electricity is putting up gas by almost 10 per cent.
    • British Gas announced a 7 per cent rise on gas and electricity
    Michelle Mitchell, director of the charity Age UK, said:'It’s still unacceptable that in this day and age tens of thousands more older people die in this country every winter from the effects of the cold weather.

    'As another winter sets in, plummeting temperatures will once again spell misery, ill-health and, in some cases, even death for too many people in later life across the country.

    'The simple fact that the UK has one of the highest winter mortality rates in Europe – higher than even Sweden or Finland – makes it clear this is very much a home-grown problem.

    'These are avoidable deaths due not just to the cold weather in itself but to the country’s inability to meet the challenge of dropping temperatures.'

    Public health minister Anne Milton said: ‘Information to help vulnerable people keep warm and well will be made available to GP surgeries and local organisations.

    'The elderly, and those who are ill, are particularly vulnerable during cold weather.

    'We all have a role to play in remembering the needs of friends, relatives and neighbours who could be at risk especially at this time of year.’ Unquote.

    Sarah Wollaston.

    The coalition are blaming the Deficit left by the last Government. As far as pensioners are concerned, Steve Webb’s response was what I expected, the man has no integrity whatsoever, and I would say this to his face if I could.

    Following the second World War Britain was made bankrupt, yet with America we helped build up Germany, we brought in the National Health Service, we brought in minimum wages, we built council houses, we brought in a Welfare State.

    We achieved much, because Government’s of the day had the “will” to do it.

    Steve Webb’s response was based on a devisery policy regarding the elderly, and the myth that looking after our elderly people is expensive, in short our pensioners are a scapegoat for right wing ideoligy.

    Factually, and in direct response to Steve Webb’s comments about the £150 State pension if it is introduced in the future, clearly this possible future State pension amount will not be paid to today’s pensioners, and it should be, again today’s pensioners are being ignored.

    Sarah Wollaston, are you aware that means testing today’s pensioners via the Pensions Credit, is costing 15 times more of tax payers money than the restoration of the earnings link with cost ?. ie it costs £15 per person, per pensioner to means test, on a par with £5 per person per pensioner to restore the State pensions and earnings link.

    Coming back to my original letter/email to you, I want you to raise this issue in the House of Commons that today’s pensioners should be receiving £155 a week basic State pension now.

    I would ask you, put yourself in the place of an elderly person having worked hard all your life and paid into the system, how would you feel receiving a meagre £140 a week State pension ?

    Could you live on that today Sarah Wollaston ?

    We send tax payers money round the world in the name of “Great Britain”, including £50 million a day to Europe, and we uphold foreign wars with never a question about expense, but when it comes to the elderly, and their dignity in old age, suddenly we cant afford it.

    This right wing retorich began with Margaret Thatcher, and then was adopted by Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, and now this right wing lead coalition, so for 30 years our elderly people have and are being ignored.

    I wait your response to this email

    Yours Sincerely




    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:31 pm

    You're working well Michael !

    That is just the stuff that an MP should be getting his or her teeth into

    I would love to see the response !


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......



    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:41 pm

    papa_umau wrote:You're working well Michael !

    That is just the stuff that an MP should be getting his or her teeth into

    I would love to see the response !

    You will, if she does. Make no mistake about that. Im not letting it, or her, go.
    avatar
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 2510
    Points : 6183
    Reputation : 91
    Registration date : 2008-08-30
    Location : Northern England.

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Angie baby on Sat 07 May 2011, 12:37 pm

    A good letter Ivanhoe. Mind you I think that the political types already know much of that and they are shoving the issue to the backs of their minds.

    People like you and Papa should keep nipping at their heels if you want fair play as pensioners.

    I too will join the pack in about twenty years ! I love you

    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Sat 07 May 2011, 12:51 pm

    Angie baby wrote:A good letter Ivanhoe. Mind you I think that the political types already know much of that and they are shoving the issue to the backs of their minds.

    People like you and Papa should keep nipping at their heels if you want fair play as pensioners.

    I too will join the pack in about twenty years ! I love you

    Thank you Angie Baby, your apathetic response speak volumes about the British in general, and why I have every contempt for the British in general.
    avatar
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 2510
    Points : 6183
    Reputation : 91
    Registration date : 2008-08-30
    Location : Northern England.

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Angie baby on Sat 07 May 2011, 12:57 pm

    I give you a compliment and I get snash back !

    Have you got any friends ?

    I do not consider myself to be "apathetic" or even one of the general mob so please do not try to type me as one of your crowd.

    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Sat 07 May 2011, 7:57 pm

    Angie baby wrote:I give you a compliment and I get snash back !

    Have you got any friends ?

    I do not consider myself to be "apathetic" or even one of the general mob so please do not try to type me as one of your crowd.

    """"I too will join the pack in about twenty years""""

    What do you call this, if it isnt apathy ?
    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 May 2011, 12:40 pm

    Take it easy Ivanhoe as that is just the "folly of youth" !

    I am sure that very few young people ever even consider what is going to happen to them when they eventually retire. When we are young we really don't like looking at our own mortality.

    I don't call that "apathy" I call that disinterest. There is a difference you know !


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......



    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Mon 09 May 2011, 1:04 pm

    papa_umau wrote:Take it easy Ivanhoe as that is just the "folly of youth" !

    I am sure that very few young people ever even consider what is going to happen to them when they eventually retire. When we are young we really don't like looking at our own mortality.

    I don't call that "apathy" I call that disinterest. There is a difference you know !

    I cannot believe while our elderly people have been suffering hardship since the 80's when Thatcher diminished the State pension at a stroke of a pen, that "younger" people have turned their backs on their parents and grandparents wholesale.

    This is a fact that nobody can argue with.




    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Mon 09 May 2011, 1:05 pm

    papa_umau wrote:Take it easy Ivanhoe as that is just the "folly of youth" !

    I am sure that very few young people ever even consider what is going to happen to them when they eventually retire. When we are young we really don't like looking at our own mortality.

    I don't call that "apathy" I call that disinterest. There is a difference you know !

    /////I am sure that very few young people ever even consider what is going to happen to them when they eventually retire. When we are young we really don't like looking at our own mortality. //////

    This is the point im making. It is not about the young. It is about the young sticking up for the old.

    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 May 2011, 11:48 am

    I can certainly see what you are getting at Ivanhoe and to a certain extent what you say is true.

    What I am trying to say is that this "selfish" syndrome of the young people of Britain is not just a British trend, it is a normal way of life for all youngsters.

    It is only with years of experience of the world and of the pressure and knowledge that old age brings that the young people - no longer being young - realise that they are going to be in that situation very soon.

    In fact, I would say that there are only a very few particularly-driven young people - who are interested in politics anyway, that would even look at this situation and try to help with it.

    Again, I say...."The folly of youth".


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......



    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Tue 10 May 2011, 11:12 pm

    papa_umau wrote:I can certainly see what you are getting at Ivanhoe and to a certain extent what you say is true.

    What I am trying to say is that this "selfish" syndrome of the young people of Britain is not just a British trend, it is a normal way of life for all youngsters.

    It is only with years of experience of the world and of the pressure and knowledge that old age brings that the young people - no longer being young - realise that they are going to be in that situation very soon.

    In fact, I would say that there are only a very few particularly-driven young people - who are interested in politics anyway, that would even look at this situation and try to help with it.

    Again, I say...."The folly of youth".

    Pap, im not talking literally about young people. Im talking about "younger" people, ie all those under pensionable age.
    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Wed 11 May 2011, 12:05 pm

    Yes, I know what you are saying and I agree that as people get older and older and start to come close to retirement it is THEN that they start to consider all of the ramifications attached to getting old and going into retirement.

    I would even say that it is understandable - in these days of the tightening of belts and of draconian cuts - that because the younger ones feel that they are already struggling to subsist at their age that they just have not the time or the effort or the inclination with which to fight for our rights.

    We are not all like that, because I remember quite clearly that when I was just out of my trade apprenticeship and I saw the building trade taking one of it's many nosedives around 1966 I suddenly realised that if I was to have a decent retirement I had to get out of the building trade and get into government work. That was the time that I chose to go into the civil service.

    Now I see many of my friends that stayed in the building trade either being stuck in it when they should have retired or being broken by all of that hard work.


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......



    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Fri 13 May 2011, 1:43 pm

    papa_umau wrote:Yes, I know what you are saying and I agree that as people get older and older and start to come close to retirement it is THEN that they start to consider all of the ramifications attached to getting old and going into retirement.

    I would even say that it is understandable - in these days of the tightening of belts and of draconian cuts - that because the younger ones feel that they are already struggling to subsist at their age that they just have not the time or the effort or the inclination with which to fight for our rights.

    We are not all like that, because I remember quite clearly that when I was just out of my trade apprenticeship and I saw the building trade taking one of it's many nosedives around 1966 I suddenly realised that if I was to have a decent retirement I had to get out of the building trade and get into government work. That was the time that I chose to go into the civil service.

    Now I see many of my friends that stayed in the building trade either being stuck in it when they should have retired or being broken by all of that hard work.

    Pap, Why is it that across the EU, there is consolidation among the people, young and old alike, across the generations. ?

    Why is it that the European populas are able to consolidate and fight back against Government cuts which effect the people's lively hoods ?

    Why is it that the French, the German's the Greeks, ect, dont take shit from their Governments ?, but we do, because according to you, we are all tightening our belts ?

    Are'nt the Europeans also tightening their belts, but they still stand together.

    Why dont we British ever stand together ?

    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Fri 13 May 2011, 1:48 pm

    Angie baby wrote:I give you a compliment and I get snash back !

    Have you got any friends ?

    I do not consider myself to be "apathetic" or even one of the general mob so please do not try to type me as one of your crowd.

    /////Have you got any friends ?//////

    I say what I know, if that loses me friends, then they arent friends.

    I know what im talking about, I know what I say is true, and I know im opinionated.

    If my friends dont like it, tough.
    avatar
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 2510
    Points : 6183
    Reputation : 91
    Registration date : 2008-08-30
    Location : Northern England.

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Angie baby on Sat 14 May 2011, 1:17 pm

    I can be opinionated too but at least I try not to make that quality insult my friends.

    Oh, and another thing: If you say that all your facts are right it would help if you backed them up with a bit of proof.

    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Sat 14 May 2011, 9:01 pm

    Angie baby wrote:I can be opinionated too but at least I try not to make that quality insult my friends.

    Oh, and another thing: If you say that all your facts are right it would help if you backed them up with a bit of proof.

    The wind blows, but you cant see it, but you believe it, so why do you need proof about my facts ?
    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Sun 15 May 2011, 1:35 pm

    Might I step in here....

    Whenever "facts" are published anywhere they usually have to be backed up with a connection to the source of these facts. When anyone questions such facts it is encumbent of the person who states them to provide sources.

    Any look at Wikipedia - for example - will show where many factual entries have been asked for proof of information if they have not already been provided. It is therefore a good thing to do to always back up any such facts as they are reported.

    See THIS for clarification.


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......


    avatar
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1284
    Points : 4355
    Reputation : 110
    Registration date : 2009-10-14
    Age : 69
    Location : in transit

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 20 May 2011, 5:26 am

    All age groups are currently suffering, not just us pensioners, many people are having difficulty even in jobs, as much work is only part time and Minimum wage. (anything to keep the Unemployment figures low).

    Young families are having a bad time too, even getting a Driver's licence costs too much for young couples nowadays!

    The only folk who aren't struggling are Directors of Multinational companies, Bankers and politicians! (Oh, mustn't forget the lawyers!)

    jim

    Number of posts : 108
    Points : 2504
    Reputation : 33
    Registration date : 2011-05-19

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by jim on Fri 20 May 2011, 9:05 am

    Ivanhoe
    The facts and figures are an important part of your letter.
    Without a reference from where these costings came from , to state them is meaningless. You must be able to back up any argument ! Any MP or person that you sent the letter , would ask you the same .
    To get annoyed by other forum members questioning your facts & figures totally destroys your good intentions .
    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 May 2011, 11:17 am

    Hell's Granny wrote:All age groups are currently suffering, not just us pensioners, many people are having difficulty even in jobs, as much work is only part time and Minimum wage. (anything to keep the Unemployment figures low).

    Young families are having a bad time too, even getting a Driver's licence costs too much for young couples nowadays!

    The only folk who aren't struggling are Directors of Multinational companies, Bankers and politicians! (Oh, mustn't forget the lawyers!)

    Hi again HG....

    Yes you are darned tootin that there are more than the pensioners suffering in these days of austerity. You are also dead right that these days of austerity don't effect the fat-cats and the big earners as they are protected from these cuts by this big-money safeguard.

    Life is Britain is just not fair these days and that is why more and more Brits are now moving to Europe - and further abroad - to try to get a fair deal.

    All I have to say is..... Will the last one out switch off the lights ! Mad

    jim wrote:Ivanhoe
    The facts and figures are an important part of your letter.
    Without a reference from where these costings came from , to state them is meaningless. You must be able to back up any argument ! Any MP or person that you sent the letter , would ask you the same .
    To get annoyed by other forum members questioning your facts & figures totally destroys your good intentions .

    Hi Jim, nice to hear from you and welcome to R.O.B.

    Thank you for supporting what I say as you are also right that opinions need no supporting evidence but purported facts do.

    NOW...why not give us the benefit of that wisdom on some other threads ?


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......



    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Fri 20 May 2011, 8:01 pm

    papa_umau wrote:You're working well Michael !

    That is just the stuff that an MP should be getting his or her teeth into

    I would love to see the response !

    Here is my second response Pap.

    ////Dear Mr Thompson

    Thank you for writing to me again raising your concerns about the winter fuel allowance, fuel rises and the proposed flat rate pension of £140.

    With regards to the winter fuel allowance, you correctly pointed out that Winter Fuel Payments will continue to be paid exactly as budgeted for by the last Government. It only made provision for a temporary increase to coincide with the last General Election.

    I can assure you that the Government does recognise that elderly people are amongst the most vulnerable in our society. With this in mind, the Government will continue to protect key support for pensioners including Winter Fuel Payments, free prescriptions, free eye tests and bus passes.

    The Government has permanently increased the cold weather payment from £8.50 a week to £25 a week which the last Government had not planned to do. Cold weather payments provide real help to those most vulnerable to the cold – older people, disabled adults and children, and families with children under 5 who are in receipt of an income related benefit.

    Last year, we ensured that pensioners received an £80 electricity rebate. This winter, subject to regulations going through Parliament, the Government plans that over one million poor pensioners will be entitled to a £120 electricity rebate; this is real help for pensioners who need it.

    I am looking into the claims that nine pensioners died every hour last winter due to fuel poverty and will update you on any further information I receive. I have myself spoken about this issue in the House already. Please see speech by following the link: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm100707/halltext/100707h0001.htm#10070753000560.

    You mentioned this in relation to fuel price rises, and I understand the concerns of many pensioners who are struggling to cope with energy suppliers putting up prices. However I was recently pleased to hear Ofgem’s decision that Energy suppliers will have to give consumers at least 30 days notice of any price rises or changes to their contract. I agree that the previously rules of being notified up to two months after any increase was completely ludicrous. I hope these changes will allow for people to plan their finances and even change provider if they can find a better deal elsewhere. I am hoping this will create a more competitive energy supply market, which will in turn help everyone including hard-pressed pensioners.

    The proposed flat rate pension which mentioned at £150 is actually proposed at £140 and is only one option being considered. At current the Government’s proposals would only implement this for newly retired pensioners. I understand this is of great concern to those already retired and I have already written to Steve Webb MP to ask him to address this concern and I will update you on his response..

    Finally you may be interested in adding your thoughts to the consultation on the proposed pension reform by following the website: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2011/state-pension-21st-century.shtml. The consultation closes on 24th June and will the Government will report back later in the year.

    Yours Sincerely,


    Dr Sarah Wollaston
    Member of Parliament for Totnes
    House of Commons|London|SW1A 0AA
    Tel: 02072194064

    avatar
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

    Number of posts : 12466
    Points : 18884
    Reputation : -25
    Registration date : 2008-08-23
    Age : 73
    Location : Scotland

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 May 2011, 11:50 am

    It certainly looks as if you have put her on the spot with that communication and I am sure that especially because of your efforts our plight is now in the forefront of her mind. Whether that will see any new policies brought by her Tory friends or not is another idea altogether.

    I am sure that all of the government - including the Lib-Dem part - are now well-aware of our "plight" and they now know that we expect more from government than we have ever been given before. Because of our ever-increasing numbers and the fact that now more and more of us are getting online these days - and they know this - we are going to have a much better chance of shaping government policy in the future than we ever did before.

    As I said to you in my personal e-mail....."As the next general election gets closer and closer I think we are going to find that our needs are going to carry more weight than they ever have before and that will be the time when they will start to promise us the earth" - or words to that effect..


    _________________
    Best of regards

    Papa......



    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Sat 21 May 2011, 12:31 pm

    papa_umau wrote:You're working well Michael !

    That is just the stuff that an MP should be getting his or her teeth into

    I would love to see the response !

    Here is the response Pap.

    //Dear Mr Thompson

    Thank you for writing to me again raising your concerns about the winter fuel allowance, fuel rises and the proposed flat rate pension of £140.

    With regards to the winter fuel allowance, you correctly pointed out that Winter Fuel Payments will continue to be paid exactly as budgeted for by the last Government. It only made provision for a temporary increase to coincide with the last General Election.

    I can assure you that the Government does recognise that elderly people are amongst the most vulnerable in our society. With this in mind, the Government will continue to protect key support for pensioners including Winter Fuel Payments, free prescriptions, free eye tests and bus passes.

    The Government has permanently increased the cold weather payment from £8.50 a week to £25 a week which the last Government had not planned to do. Cold weather payments provide real help to those most vulnerable to the cold – older people, disabled adults and children, and families with children under 5 who are in receipt of an income related benefit.

    Last year, we ensured that pensioners received an £80 electricity rebate. This winter, subject to regulations going through Parliament, the Government plans that over one million poor pensioners will be entitled to a £120 electricity rebate; this is real help for pensioners who need it.

    I am looking into the claims that nine pensioners died every hour last winter due to fuel poverty and will update you on any further information I receive. I have myself spoken about this issue in the House already. Please see speech by following the link: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm100707/halltext/100707h0001.htm#10070753000560.

    You mentioned this in relation to fuel price rises, and I understand the concerns of many pensioners who are struggling to cope with energy suppliers putting up prices. However I was recently pleased to hear Ofgem’s decision that Energy suppliers will have to give consumers at least 30 days notice of any price rises or changes to their contract. I agree that the previously rules of being notified up to two months after any increase was completely ludicrous. I hope these changes will allow for people to plan their finances and even change provider if they can find a better deal elsewhere. I am hoping this will create a more competitive energy supply market, which will in turn help everyone including hard-pressed pensioners.

    The proposed flat rate pension which mentioned at £150 is actually proposed at £140 and is only one option being considered. At current the Government’s proposals would only implement this for newly retired pensioners. I understand this is of great concern to those already retired and I have already written to Steve Webb MP to ask him to address this concern and I will update you on his response..

    Finally you may be interested in adding your thoughts to the consultation on the proposed pension reform by following the website: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2011/state-pension-21st-century.shtml. The consultation closes on 24th June and will the Government will report back later in the year.

    Yours Sincerely,


    Dr Sarah Wollaston
    Member of Parliament for Totnes
    House of Commons|London|SW1A 0AA
    Tel: 02072194064




    Parliament....
    General
    General

    Number of posts : 1623
    Points : 4860
    Reputation : -4
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Parliament.... on Sat 21 May 2011, 3:47 pm

    Hell's Granny wrote:All age groups are currently suffering, not just us pensioners, many people are having difficulty even in jobs, as much work is only part time and Minimum wage. (anything to keep the Unemployment figures low).

    Young families are having a bad time too, even getting a Driver's licence costs too much for young couples nowadays!

    The only folk who aren't struggling are Directors of Multinational companies, Bankers and politicians! (Oh, mustn't forget the lawyers!)

    Of course all age groups are suffering, but the elderly generation should be top priority because it is the mark of a civilised society how it looks after it's elderly people. We dont.

    Government's since the 80's have managed to create as a matter of policy a rich and poor devide, and while throwing crumbs to the thousands, we also mage to argue amongst ourselves as to whom get's what.

    This is called devide and conquer politics, and we British fall for it everytime, because we are largely thick

    Sponsored content

    Re: A letter to my MP on an issue that I want her to raise in the house of commons.

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:09 am