Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Official..MPs, posh, privileged and out of touch.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Official..MPs, posh, privileged and out of touch.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 12:46 pm

It's official - MPs really are posh, privileged and out of touch !

Just one in 25 has had a "manual" job while ten percent came from only 13 schools - a dozen of which are private says a report from the Smith Institute.

It was discovered that private schools account for 34 percent of all MPs - compared with the national average of about seven percent.

Now you know why most of them don't give a damn about the ordinary people of Britain.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Official..MPs, posh, privileged and out of touch.

Post by zathrus on Wed 09 Feb 2011, 12:43 pm

Why am I not surprised about that one ?

I once heard a saying about this that said: "The fact that any person wants to be a politican should automatically bar them from being one!"

A lot of sense in that saying I think.

I might suggest that it is about the need for being "leaders" that attracts the public school boys into politics. I believe that they are pointed in that direction from the get-go in places like Eton etc. If they don't finish up a politician they go into the army at officer grade.

It is the class system alive and well and effecting all our lives.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:54 am

Great comment Zath'.

I have always known that the class system is still strong in Britain and it works like a form of aparthied whereby the rich and the privileged are separated from the ordinary people.

Tony Blair once famously said that under him the class system would crash and Britain would become a classless society.

I cannot see this EVER happening as the middle and upper-classes and the filthy rich LIKE to have that barrier in place.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 11:16 am

You just have to listen to their affected speech to know that they are from a background that has little knowledge of what goes on in the real world. I am not surprised that they regularly get it wrong.

Many of them in the past have promised to listen to their constituents but they seldom do and that is why they go wrong so often.

I am beginning to lose all faith in British politics for exactly this reason.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Feb 2011, 11:37 am

What I blame is party politics. When politicians go to vote for anything they are normally under the control of the party whips and that is why they often are not able to vote as their constituents might want them to.

On the very odd occasion we might see what is known as a vote of conscience but these kinds of votes are few and far between.

It takes a very strong MP to vote for what their constituents want AGAINST the instructions of the party whips. This kind of an action can often result in the whip being removed from that person and his or her future in the party can then be at an end.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 11:33 am

Rise and rise of the "Yahs" !

For years it was correct for official announcers on the TV news etc' to talk what they called "The Queen's English" but eventually they caught on and allowed some quite strong regional accents to appear. They did this, I think, to try to make better contact with the people.

Sadly, in big business and in politics this stigma is still to the fore as such people push their Oxbridge accents as much as they ever did.

This, along with the status that is afforded by riches, helps to keep the British class system alive and well.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Feb 2011, 10:04 am

Soooooo true Zath' !

I couldn't have said it better myself.

What is worse is that by the way that the Tory coalition are hammering the weak and the poor and the sick this class divide is going to get larger and larger.

A comment today said that the draconian cuts that the Lib-Dems are making were going to force another 200,000 families into homelessness.

The state are going to have to pick up that tab one way or another and this condition is going to cost more money than it saves.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:40 am