Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The fuel tax escalator..........

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12341
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The fuel tax escalator..........

Post by papa_umau on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 1:43 pm

When the Tories introduced the fuel-tax escalator the first time round we knew we were in for a serious rise in fuel taxes, ( It was originally designed to be raised by a penny or two at each budget so that the motorists would pay for the damage that their car exhausts did to the environment - or so they said ). We very soon realised that this was just another way for the government to get a steady income from the motorists and the haulage companies and the farmers etc' and a lot of pressure was put on government of the day to scrap this unfair tax.

Eventually the New-Labour government DID scrap this automated tax but they sadly started it up again just a couple of years before they were booted out of office.

The Con-Dem coalition were happy to keep on raising this tax until eventually it was found out that a total of 78.95p per litre taken in fuel cost was tax.

George Osborne was planning to put another penny on this tax after just raising it under the 20% VAT rate in January. Now it seems as if he is to backpedal a bit and not add this one penny to the already-draconian fuel tax escalator.

I guess we shall see what happens to this iniquitous tax in the future !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: The fuel tax escalator..........

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Jan 2011, 12:12 pm

It is true Papa that many taxes have been introduced and steadily increased because of the environmental issue but I don't think that many of the electorate are fooled by this.

The "green" tax is just another way to get money out of our pockets and purses.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Jan 2011, 11:50 am

You are sooooo right about that moi dear !

Mind you, I think there must come a time when the government can take no more off us in fuel tax. That time is now very close, as I see it.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 12:04 pm

"Moi Dear" ?????

I thought that you came from Scotland ? But according to that greeting you sound as if you come from the West country of England.

Are you trying to confuse me ? Twisted Evil

Back to the topic.....

The thing is that every time any government puts up taxes and call it an environmental tax they diminish the real fight for the environment.

Being a "tree-hugger" surely you must agree with me there ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 12:27 pm

Nothing meant by it Angie. Just trying to be clever ! Embarassed

I DO agree with you that every time that they bang up the tax rates for "environmental reasons" they DO diminish the real fight for the environment.

Just about everybody is jumping on the "green" bandwagon these days but often all this shows that what they are doing is simply paying lip-service to the cause.

I spotted in today's paper that the SNP are promising to "go green" if they are returned as leaders in the Scottish elections in May.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm