Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Royal Society Admit Warming trend has Stopped

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Royal Society Admit Warming trend has Stopped

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Sun 03 Oct 2010, 5:42 pm

Hi All

Been a while since I've been on here but thought I'd come back with a bang and post some climate change news (not to get up your goat paps lo!). Turns out the Royal Society, that social policy quango, unelected but showered with taxpayers money, whos remit includes taking steps to ensure we all accept the inevitable global warming polemic, and believe it as fact without critical questioning, has admitted in a publication that the slight global warming trend of the late 80s and 90s has stopped, amongst other things. Now I would have thought this kind of statement would have been sacrosanct for them but apparently not, especially with the evidence of no global warming since about 2000, but with continuously increasing CO2 emissions?

"'The Royal Society now also agrees with the GWPF that the warming trend of
    the 1980s and 90s has come to a halt in the last 10 years."

Now my question is why are we still paying green taxes when all this uncertainty remains? I mean paying taxes was meant to be for a reason, and that reason needs to be 100% verified and undoubted, but this is just the opposite, with grant-laden professors singing from the same hymn sheet as all the other sheep as they are scared of losing funding for "climate change" research.

I also see this publication as a sort of rebuttal to all the furore over the climate gate scandal, which does not seem to be going away. It sounds like they are saying "yes there are doubts but the main scientific findings are undeniable and we must do something despite the doubts", both of these comments are rubbish because none of the IPCC or other bodies studies were scientific, they were political, and any scientist that disagreed were stricken from the list, and fired for dissenting, while doubts were smoothed over and assumptions turned into scientific findings.

Link to article

Make what you will of it. This is not me saying warming has stopped, it is the Royal Society, which is very very surprising given their almost continuous one-sided stance on this issue. There are also other organisations and people in the scientific community having doubts about the AGW hoax. I guess a lot of people tend to go with whichever way the wind blows eh?

Andrew
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Royal Society Admit Warming trend has Stopped

Post by papa_umau on Mon 04 Oct 2010, 11:40 am

Hi again Andrew...I thought the sniper had got you ! Twisted Evil

I HAVE missed our arguments about climate change and global warming and I have to admit that things HAVE changed over the past few months.

The Royal Society got themselves into a serious funk after that set of e-mails were published without any solid evidence to back them up and now as a result we see them back-pedalling at a great rate of knots.

Them and the United nations commission are now looking at the subject of climate change in a much more realistic light as there are a lot of folk like you - and now me - that have jumped on this seemingly-obvious fiddle.

I think that as a result we are going to be able to trust the science that will come afterwards much better than we could before.

All that admitted and aside, I think that it is never a bad thing to clean up our act as far as pollution is concerned as what we - as the custodians of this earth - do as we go along our way has to be made so that we do not anthropologically effect what nature is trying to do.

Weather is a very complex subject and even with the number-crunching available to very powerful super-computers we do not know EXACTLY what is going on in our atmosphere. I have always thought, ( and not a lot of science behind this ), that if what WE do as a developing world adds to what nature does then we have to stop this in order to try hard not to make things worse.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would deny that we DO inject a lot of carbon dioxide and other man-made gasses into the atmosphere as we seek to build ever more factories and power-plants and run ever more carbon-spewing vehicles on land sea and air. All what is not yet quite clear is HOW MUCH of what we do is making this pollution worse over thousands of years than mother nature would have been able to fix if we had not done this or been here at all.

As I have said in many of our past spats....."It is never a good thing for humans to do, to stick our heads in the sand and hope that it will all go away" Sadly, it won't !

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Mon 04 Oct 2010, 4:26 pm

Paps I put my hands up, you share the same concerns as me about pollution, destruction of wildlife areas for housing estates/factories for an ever-increasing population (I won't go into the reason for that!), big corporations pouring chemicals down the drain while professing to cut carbon emissions, GM foods and the chemical gunk that passes as "food" today, yet we are all supposed to be "healthier than ever". What rot, people from a few generations did live longer than we do now, although things like TB/Flu and other diseases did have a nasty effect if caught, and the care and preventative measures such as sanitation and recognition of diseases was probably not as good as now. It does look as if people from a few generations ago did live agonisingly short lives but had they avoided the usual plagues or serious injuries from heavy manufacturing etc they usually steamed on and were active till their 80s and 90s, like many of my old uncles and aunts.

We are however pushing an increasingly lighter cart up an increasingly steeper hill where we seem to be inventing problems and diseases only to spend lots of time and money inventing miracle cures whilst not really getting anywhere as a species. Wouldn't prevention be better in the first place so we can move on?

Subject went a bit astray there but it does make a valid point as to where we are going, our environment and our society, and how we seem to spend so much time and energy focussing on the wrong things while we could be concentrating on the real big issues and getting our species advancing along without bombing people, chemically bombarding them and steamrollering over the environment in which we all have to live whilst doing it.

The money that big banks are making from carbon trading could be used to supply clean water and sanitation to 3rd world countries but that never seems to happen does it, that is the 2 things that these people need more than anything, clean water and sanitation but yet we spend billions on other things and the money always ends up in tyrants hands or in silly green energy projects that 1st world companies, via their bought and paid for politicians, promote only to win the contract, they then sup up all the grant money and leave the community with some red herring infrastructure and nothing to show for it, while the company that made it runs off into the distance with the grant money.

Something to think about!

Andrew
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Oct 2010, 12:11 pm

Gee, and I thought that I was a cynic ! Twisted Evil

There is no doubt that we do a lot that we shouldn't do just to chase profits and growth and the international competition for ever more and more cheap production means that the consumer markets world wide are more wasteful every year while we throw more and more of these "use-and-chuck" materials instead of going for long-lasting and environmentally-sustainable goods, ( as we used to to a degree in the past ).

The few evironmentally-aware governments out there that are now paying lip-service to "recycle and re-use" are in fact just doing this to look good when third world countries are overproducing cheap and throwaway goods and wasting most of it by selling it to us by the millions of tons a day.

I agree that the idea of trading carbon-certificates is a racket and while it too makes corporations and even countries look green it in fact just moves the problem around.

It is a real shame that the science behind the theory of global warming and climate change has fallen apart as most of the tree-huggers like me were depending on that science being correct so as to support what we do in trying to clean up the earth. All that that con-trick did was to ruin the reputation of the scientists and allow the deniers to get a leg up in this argument.

Now we are going to have to examine this science all over again if we are going to be able to give advice to the polluters of this world.

There is no doubt that because of this debachle we HAVE lost a battle, but people like me who are driven by environmentalism will still hope to win the war by staying vigilant.

I, for one, Andrew, am never going to give up on this vital subject.

Oh and an interesting point: Rolling Eyes

As I AM the environmentalist that I keep saying I am I have finally managed to buy a car that I feel comfortable with. The guilt that I carried because I was using high-carbon-emission vehicles in past years has now been ameliorated by me buying a brand new Toyota Prius which has emissions only second to fully electric cars. It also - because of this environmental situation - costs nothing to road-tax ( VED ) and does around seventy MPG. pirat

I am still waiting for the hydrogen revolution whereby ALL of the road and rail and sea-going vehicles will be powered by pollution-free hydrogen fuel-cells. Sadly I probably won't live to see that happen, but I have confidence that one day, it will.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:53 am