Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Will Ed Miliband take the Labour party in a new direction ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Will Ed Miliband take the Labour party in a new direction ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 11:46 am

As many of us are unsatisfied - to say the least - with what New-Labour has done for us in the past twelve years and many of us now know and are prepared to admit that the New-Labour experiment has failed miserably, I was wondering if the new Labour party leader will take Labour back to it's roots and start to care about the people of Britain again ?

Even if you do not support leftist ideas and you are not bothered about what the Labour party does in the future, do you think that a true Labour party can fill the void left by the part-time tories that initially followed Tony Blair's vision of what Britain's politics should do ?

Ed Miliband - not surprisingly - said that he plans to look after middle Britain but I wonder if he can catch the imagination of this demographic without sounding like his Blairist brother.

Anybody.....

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Will Ed Miliband take the Labour party in a new direction ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:20 am

Yeah Paps, he certainly has a very careful path to tread in his years to come. He wants the disenchanted old-Labour voters to come back and yet he does not want to lose the millions of potential votes that are in the true middle ground.

I honestly don't think he can do both.

We are just going to have to wait and see I guess.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 06 Oct 2010, 10:22 am

If he is clever enough to hold on to even two-thirds of the middle-ground voters that Blair brought in AND bring back most of the left-wing voters that Blair LOST by his lurch to the right, then he could finish up with a majority just like Blair had for his three terms in power.

Maybe that is just wishful-thinking but I also think that that might produce the most stable of governments that has been in since the war.

I guess that the next election is not his to win, but it is fact his to lose if he is not VERY careful.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Oct 2010, 12:19 pm

So true..about the election being his to lose.

The voters are a fickle bunch and many of them swing back and forth with the prevailing wind. It only takes a couple of mistakes and something that was building up to be greatly promising can be dashed into oblivion.

I guess that the winners in any election are the ones that plausibly promise the most to the most and if they cannot do that they have to get used to becoming the also rans.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 12 Oct 2010, 11:54 am

I now think that Ed Miliband and his new shadow-ministers are going to work hard in the four years to come to try to bring the Labour party back to a common-sense footing and to REALLY appeal to the centre-ground and the left-of-centre ground too.

I am sure that they are well aware that Bliar's rightist performance only attracted the people who were willing to swing in order to get what they could out of that all-men-to-all-people party.

I even think that many of the people who jumped from the Tory ship during those last three New-Labour landslide elections will stay if they can see that Ed Miliband and his people really want to be fair to all in the future.

I have said until I was black in the face that there HAS TO BE a "third way" of doing things and I hope that at last we have found this "third way".

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:51 pm

No politician has integrity today, they are all bowing and scraping to what they think middle England want.

We might have a democracy, but this democracy is useless and wasted in a country as devided as Britain is.
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:36 pm

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:35 pm