Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

And NOW it starts......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

And NOW it starts......

Post by papa_umau on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:44 am

Ever since I saw that the CONDEM government were thinking of selling off the Royal Mail I wondered what else they would do to make this sale look sweet.

Now I know ! Read the following:

Weekend postal deliveries face the axe under Tory-Lib Dem plans to sell off Royal Mail

By the Scottish Daily Record online....
    Exclusive by Jason Beattie

Saturday postal deliveries face the axe under Con-Dem plans to sell the Royal Mail.

Business Secretary Vince Cable is willing to allow a privatised company to offer only a five-day service.

Legislation paving the way for the sell-off is expected to be introduced next month.

And sources close to the Government say they can offer "no guarantee" that the six-day service would remain.

Unions reacted with fury to the decision, warning it would result in cuts to services and jobs.

Billy Hayes, general secretary of the Communication Workers Union, said: "This is the first cut in services of many that privatisation will bring.

"A drive for profit will take away the public service ethos supported by postal workers and enjoyed by customers for 170 years.

"The universal service will be at risk, services will be reduced and jobs will be cut.

"The attack on Saturday service is the surest sign yet that privatisation of postal services is not in the interests of the UK public. The public don't want their post sold off and the Government must stop this ideologically driven plan."

Labour leadership contender Ed Balls said: "This is why privatising the Royal Mail will be bad news for millions of people who rely on the postal service.

"And I fear this is the thin end of the wedge. Selling off the Royal Mail will put the universal service at risk and that's why we should oppose this Tory-Lib Dem privatisation."

Cable has said privatisation is the only option for the Royal Mail, who have debts of at least 8billion.

His plans would allow a private company to take a majority stake in the company.

Part of the sell-off deal would see the Treasury taking on the Royal Mail's pension fund debts, estimated at between 8billion and 10billion.

The Government do not want to set a limit on any private stake. As a result the Royal Mail could pass into foreign hands.

Dutch firm TNT and German giant Deutsche Post were tipped as potential bidders when the sale of Royal Mail was last on the agenda.

In a bid to get the Bill through, Cable is offering posties the chance to have shares in the privatised firm.

He has also pledged to keep the universal pricing scheme so the cost of sending the letter will be same wherever you live in the UK.

Ending Saturday deliveries would mark the end of a system which has been in place since the Penny Post was introduced in 1840.

So there you have it !

We are liable to lose our weekend mail deliveries if the Royal Mail is sold off.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: And NOW it starts......

Post by zathrus on Thu 23 Sep 2010, 12:21 pm

And a lot more jobs are going to be lost too so that this private mob can make as much money as possible from this supposed to be, essential service.

I would not be a bit surprised if we are soon made to go to the depot to collect all of our mail.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 11:56 am

THAT, would be a distinct possibility Zath' !

The Tory dogmatic desire to reduce the size of the state machine is understandable but if everything that was organised and run by the state in the past is now to be handed over to the profit-squad we are going to see many services we took for granted either disappearing altogether or shrinking until they only serve the areas where they can make big profits.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 11:31 am

All of the previous governments have thought that bringing in private money will make things better but most of us know that there is no such thing as a free lunch and if the privateers get their hands on previous state-run services they are going to wring every drop of money they can out of these services.

All that this finishes up with is that the people of Britain are served worse than they were before.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm

Nothing new there then, Angie.

Cheers, HG
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:24 am

Cynical, but no doubt correct Angie.

I guess that the answer here is to not let any political group in that thinks like that. Blair's New-Labour thought like that and the Tories definitely do too.

Now that the Liberal Democrats are the Tories lap-dogs we have very little left to choose from.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 12:11 pm

Try the new Labour Party, ( not the New-Labour party BTW ), under Ed Miliband.

I already did. Yesterday I sent away my membership application to this new-generation Labour party.

I will be extremely happy to be a card-carrying Labour man once again. cheers

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 1:21 pm

Hell's Granny wrote:Nothing new there then, Angie.

Cheers, HG

Hi Gran.

Yes, we always have to wach our wallets and purses carefully whenever the government or the privatised services show willing to do anything for us.

My boyfriend thinks I am mean but my dad says that I am just careful.

I think I believe my dad over my boyfriend as he is always after something too.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Oct 2010, 12:18 pm

Yes Angie, believe your dad as he does not have an axe to grind ! Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 08 Oct 2010, 7:17 pm

I wonder what the new stamps will look like? They won't have the Queen's head on if it's no longer Royal Mail.

Here's a Thought, Sell off the Royal Mint! Twisted Evil

Cheers HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 Oct 2010, 11:24 am

Shhhhhhhhhhhh......... HG, don't give them any ideas !

Our paper money is already printed by a private company called Delarue and I am sure that if THEY thought they could get away with it they would flog off the so-called Royal Mint too.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 10 Jan 2011, 10:25 pm

papa_umau wrote:Ever since I saw that the CONDEM government were thinking of selling off the Royal Mail I wondered what else they would do to make this sale look sweet.

Now I know ! Read the following:

Weekend postal deliveries face the axe under Tory-Lib Dem plans to sell off Royal Mail

By the Scottish Daily Record online....
    Exclusive by Jason Beattie

Saturday postal deliveries face the axe under Con-Dem plans to sell the Royal Mail.

Business Secretary Vince Cable is willing to allow a privatised company to offer only a five-day service.

Legislation paving the way for the sell-off is expected to be introduced next month.

And sources close to the Government say they can offer "no guarantee" that the six-day service would remain.

Unions reacted with fury to the decision, warning it would result in cuts to services and jobs.

Billy Hayes, general secretary of the Communication Workers Union, said: "This is the first cut in services of many that privatisation will bring.

"A drive for profit will take away the public service ethos supported by postal workers and enjoyed by customers for 170 years.

"The universal service will be at risk, services will be reduced and jobs will be cut.

"The attack on Saturday service is the surest sign yet that privatisation of postal services is not in the interests of the UK public. The public don't want their post sold off and the Government must stop this ideologically driven plan."

Labour leadership contender Ed Balls said: "This is why privatising the Royal Mail will be bad news for millions of people who rely on the postal service.

"And I fear this is the thin end of the wedge. Selling off the Royal Mail will put the universal service at risk and that's why we should oppose this Tory-Lib Dem privatisation."

Cable has said privatisation is the only option for the Royal Mail, who have debts of at least 8billion.

His plans would allow a private company to take a majority stake in the company.

Part of the sell-off deal would see the Treasury taking on the Royal Mail's pension fund debts, estimated at between 8billion and 10billion.

The Government do not want to set a limit on any private stake. As a result the Royal Mail could pass into foreign hands.

Dutch firm TNT and German giant Deutsche Post were tipped as potential bidders when the sale of Royal Mail was last on the agenda.

In a bid to get the Bill through, Cable is offering posties the chance to have shares in the privatised firm.

He has also pledged to keep the universal pricing scheme so the cost of sending the letter will be same wherever you live in the UK.

Ending Saturday deliveries would mark the end of a system which has been in place since the Penny Post was introduced in 1840.

So there you have it !

We are liable to lose our weekend mail deliveries if the Royal Mail is sold off.

I might add that a few thousand post offices workers will probably lose their jobs as well.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 11:27 am

A trick that usually happens during such events is that when anything that is run by the state is privatised a lot of - as you rightly say - people lose their jobs, but, the twist in the tail is that many of the people that HAVE lost their jobs are offered them back by the private company at much poorer salary-rates and with much poorer conditions of employment.

It's a racket and it is proof that the private sector still hold their workers by the short and curlies.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:36 pm