Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Talking some more about TV......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Talking some more about TV......

Post by papa_umau on Sun 22 Aug 2010, 12:15 pm

I watched the first auditions for The X Factor last night and I was completely transfixed at the amount of stage-time that the producers gave the rubbish contestants. They seemed to hang on as long as they could while these hard-necked and misguided show-offs with little or no talent generated what they, ( the show producers ), might see as "good telly". These foolish people were prepared to stand and argue with and plead with the judges just to let them keep on trying to entertain when it was blatantly obvious that they had little or no talent at all.

Cowell seems to revell in getting the contestants to squirm on the stage and he seemed delighted when they were brought to tears by the torture that he put them under in the name of "good telly". He even caused a fairly-talented singer to embarrass herself by forgetting her words after he denied her the chance to sing her first choice of song. After she completely muffed it and she had pleaded to be able to sing her original song, ( which Cowell said he hated ), she did a very good job and was allowed to progress into the boot-camp stage.

While all this time-wasting was going on it seemed that hundreds if not thousands of talented hopefuls were never given a chance to get any stage or telly-time at all. The whole selection-process is now looking like a Cowell carve-up to me.

One good thing came out of this night of torture: When any embarrassing rubbish was on my X-Factor TV screen I could easily drop one channel to watch and listen to some of the true talent in the National Youth Orchestra as they played some wonderful stuff at the BBC Proms in the Albert Hall.

Take a look and a listen HERE if you missed it. ( Especially, listen and watch the very first piece; The Sorcerer's Apprentice, right through, if you have the time and interest. Simply wonderful ! ).

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Talking some more about TV......

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 23 Aug 2010, 3:04 pm

I hate these programmes.

Opportunity Knocks was better, as it didn't subject the participants to 'cattle call' and televised auditions.

CheersHG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 24 Aug 2010, 11:55 am

I like that term "cattle call" HG, as that is exactly what it is !

I think that the bit that annoys me the most is the fact that they only show a tiny proportion of the true talent that comes before them in each city and they waste SO MUCH TV-time mucking around with the embarrassing and stupid show-offs so that they think they can be funny or show what the directors would call "human-interest television".

At least when the "cattle-call" auditions are over we see what is left of the real talent and then they have no reason to continue to try to generate crying hopefulls or embarrassing and talentless victims of Cowell's cruel taunting.

It is at this point that the show begins to be worth watching.

Just another shame that they make a fortune out of premium telephone line calls as the viewers and listeners vote for their favourites.

Another racket, I think !

Don't you ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 26 Aug 2010, 11:17 am

I much prefer the show: "It must be the Music" as they actually spend more time with the talented people than they do on "X Factor".

Charleen Spiteri doesn't miss them either.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 27 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

The only thing wrong with "Must be the music" is that they spend far too much time repeating over and over again what the programme is all about and who the judges are. This means that while they are showing all of those lovely graphics and the histories of the judges three or four times each episode, they are wasting a lot of valuable air-time that could be used by the contestants to showcase their talents.

Anybody ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:11 am