Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Working into your nineties ?

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Working into your nineties ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 11:55 am

It appears that the latest plan by the coalition government is to remove the compulsory aspect of retirement by allowing any fit and keen individual to work on with any company until they choose to retire, ( or more correctly, until they drop dead in harness ).

I have mixed feelings about this one as it will be fine if a fit individual chooses to work for the sake of working but it will not be fine if the same individual has to keep working because they cannot afford to retire.

This, to me, smacks of the government wanting to save on pension payments so that they can make the money they have for this purpose go further.

It also raises the question about oldies holding down jobs that should be released for the use of the young people coming into the jobs market.

What do you think about this idea ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Working into your nineties ?

Post by papa_umau on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 11:01 am

I have spoken about this idea before !

Of course the driving force behind this idea is the saving of money paid to pensioners.

Instead of prioritising the needs of pensioners - as they do in many other European states - this government and the last one have consistently tried to find ways NOT to pay well-earned retirement monies to people who have worked hard all of their lives.

I know that some elderly people are driven to keep on working as they are terrified of what it might be like to retire and while they SHOULD have a choice it should not be at the expense of the other people who are ready to retire and who might look forward to some worry-free relaxation in their twilight years.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 11:07 am

Hi Zath'.

Yes I too fear that this idea is going to force some people to work until they drop.

That is not a healthy way to look at retirement. After all, if we can afford it we should be able to enjoy the last few years in stress-free relaxation.

I agree that the compulsory aspect of retirement could be removed just so long as the people who are taking this choice do not have to do it for financial reasons.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 01 Aug 2010, 11:27 am

At the moment they say that for every person that is retired there are four people still working and paying taxes. "They" say that as the next few years pass this will reduce to TWO people working for every person retired and that this will not be enough people working and paying taxes to be able to keep up with the state pension bill.

Even if we agree with these figures surely the bill for the people who have worked hard and have paid all their taxes for a lifetime should be automatically taken from the top of the tax income pile BEFORE any money is spent elsewhere.

I guess it is all about PRIORITIES and whether the governement of the day prioritise - OR NOT - the lives of people who have already done their bit for the country and the economy.

Trying like bears to find excuses not to pay what is due in a living pension is just uncaring and selfish of the needs of the aged population.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:39 am