Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A third world rip-off !

Admin
    Owner & Editor in Chief
    Owner & Editor in Chief

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2008-08-19

A third world rip-off !

Post by Admin on Tue 15 Jun 2010, 11:25 am

As a member and financial supporter of the international group of Médecins Sans Frontiérs, I get a regular magazine and newsletter that lets me know how they are getting on in all of the third-world and the war-zone areas in which they do their wonderful work.

This time, as well as getting a very moving letter from Nurse Jess Cosby, ( who is working in Zimbabwe, fighting against HIV/Aids ), I was made aware by the magazine of how the international drugs companies are pressurising the EU into pushing a draft "Free-trade" agreement between the EU and India whereby there is a great risk that the patent laws in India will be altered so that they can no longer make and sell cheaply the generic drugs that MSF use in 80 percent of their world-wide programmes.

To find out more about this subject please visit the MSF website.

As a consumer activist I have always stood against the profiteering that the drugs companies make when they sell their expensive drugs worldwide but this one is well above and beyond any greed they might have shown before where they now attempt to stop generic drugs manufacturers from making cheaper versions in India and other places.

I know that they need to recoup the costs incurred when developing such drugs but I see no reason whatsoever for them trying to stop these drugs from being made more cheaply after the intellectual rights of these drugs have been released into the public domain.

What do YOU folks think of this practice ?

Paul R.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem !
    ( Eldridge Cleaver - Black civil-rights activist ).

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: A third world rip-off !

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Jun 2010, 12:00 pm

I admire your stance on this subject and agree that the money-making big drugs companies should and could, if they wanted to, ease up on the money they make out of the third world.

Mind you I don't think that this is actually a rip off Britain subject, do you ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Jun 2010, 11:54 am

No, you are right that this is not strictly a rip-off Britain subject but surely if we want fair treatment for ourselves we should fight for fair treatment for the weak and the sick and the war-torn innocents of the rest of the world too.

We lose nothing by using our influence to try to help to sort out such bad treatment of such peoples.

MSF do a fabulous job of helping the sick in third world and war-torn countries and the international forces should try to help them to continue doing this work by denying the greedy drugs companies their extra pound of flesh.

Don't you think ?

Anybody ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Jun 2010, 11:08 am

I too agree that MSF do a great job in some very dangerous places.

As far as drugs companies making money by denying the rights of countries like India from making generic copies of their patented drugs go; I think that so long as the proper time-period has lapsed and the drug is truly out in the public domain the drug companies have no reason to try to restrict any third person manufacture. If the world patent period has not passed then the drugs companies have the intellectual rights to stop people from copying their products.

Anything else would be illegal and I am sure that MSF are well aware of this.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Jun 2010, 1:16 pm

I have today written to MSF by e-mail in order to try to get a clarification of this problem and if they reply we may get an insider view of what MSF do so quietly across the world in our names.

If I only get an e-mail reply I will copy and paste it to this thread so as to save anyone from MSF having to go to the trouble of registering for ROB.

Again...watch this space.....

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

UPDATE !

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Jun 2010, 11:37 am

While we must try to support the work that MSF and others do to try to get cheap generic drugs to third-world countries, we must also support their fight against COUNTERFEIT generic drugs too.

It is bad enough that the EU are trying to tighten up the generic drugs manufacturing and distributing rules in India but it is even worse that the authorities in third world countries are DUMPING generic drugs along with fakes just because their packaging looks the same.

The MSF organisation are working hard to try to both stop the trade in FAKE medicines and to ensure that REAL and cheap generic medicines are available to them for use in the fight against treatable diseases of all kinds.

Here are a couple of links to the MSF website that tell us about their campaign for "Access to essential medicines" and for their fight against the trafficking of fake medicines too.

http://www.msfaccess.org/main/access-patents/world-health-assembly-2010/wha-2010-counterfeit-medicinal-products/

This second one will need an Acrobat reader resident on your computer as it is in .PDF format.

http://www.msfaccess.org/fileadmin/user_upload/medinnov_accesspatents/WHA%20Package%20Counterfeit%20FINAL%20April%202010.pdf

Please read them both as this company/charity, ( MSF ), are trying to do an already very difficult job against terrible odds.

The job that they do - and that I support - should be made much easier to do when we realise where and how they do this essential job anyway.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:08 pm