Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Review of Health and safety laws

macca

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2010-01-02

Review of Health and safety laws

Post by macca on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 12:20 pm

So david cameron is planning to reform the country's Health and safety laws http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286387/David-Cameron-announces-review-joke-health-safety-regulations.html
    Will this make this make the country a more dangerous place or will it make life better for all of us.??
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Review of Health and safety laws

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 12:40 pm

Hmmmmmm...thanks for that Macca !

Being the old cynic, that some say I am, I worry that as Cameron removes his "red-tape" and overly "PC policies" of some authorities I wonder if he is not just making it easier for the companies to sideswipe health-and-safety in order to save money. ( and therefore make MORE profits at the expense of the safety - or lack of it - of their employees ).

While nobody - I am sure - likes to see too much red tape and while most of us can regularly laugh at some of the lengths certain authorities can follow in order to pay lip-service to political correctness, I am sure that we DO need a robust set of health-and-safety guidelines for companies to follow.

I mean, how often have we seen cowboy companies - especially in the engineering and building trades circumventing health and safety rules in order to make the job cheaper and more profitable.

As far as I am concerned the application of sensible health and safety rules is the backbone of good manufacturing and building practice.

Is Cameron going to try to take us back to the days of the dark-satanic-mills where health and safety just did not exist ?

One to watch VERY closely I might suggest !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Jun 2010, 12:25 pm

Hi Macca...again, are you just making the arrows for us to fire, or do you have an opinion on the subject ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Jun 2010, 12:24 pm

Yeah, Macca, come on back and argue your case.

I personally think that the Tory influence in Britain, just like the Republican influence in America, has, in the past, made basic health and safety rules so weak that none of the big companies are now forced to look after the safety of their workers as they should.

I wonder just how the lax H&S laws in America contributed towards the Gulf of Mexico explosion and oil-spill and after the dust settles there will America tighten up on these laws afterwards.

Yes, get rid of stupid PC laws by all means but at the same time strengthen the H&S laws in the workplace too.

Cameron is going to have to be closely watched while doing what he plans in this respect !

Last edited by papa_umau on Sat 19 Jun 2010, 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Papa......

macca

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2010-01-02

Post by macca on Fri 18 Jun 2010, 12:47 pm

Whats this have a pop at macca week?????

My personal view for what its worth is that until we scrap the NO WIN FEE system we will not have balenced health and safety laws.

I am of the opinion that companies make so called health and safety regs not for the benefit of employees but just so in the event of an accident they could not get sued. I myself have been sent on some ridiculos health and safety courses ie have to asses a workstation in an office.

As for the piece in the link i can understand why the swimming goggles were banned, having worked in the leisure industry. Goggles of that type that cover the eyes and nose are banned at most swimming pools for the reason that they seal to the face, were this person to get into trouble in the water and have to be rescued, this could cause problems if he should need CPR as the nose would be covered and the goggles would not be able to be removed.

I also think that if things were properly explained to people, with regard to health and safety regs then there would not be the anger that there is.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 19 Jun 2010, 11:01 am

Macca....

Your "personal view" is highly prized on ROB and while posting a hyperlink threadstart is all fine and good all forums live and die via the interaction of the members and the debate that follows.

Don't let Zath' upset you as he is a well-known stirrer ! Rolling Eyes

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Jun 2010, 11:40 am

Hi Macca. Nice to read your stuff.

Don't let Zathrus upset you as he is just a mini-troll wannabe.

I do agree with Papa that we need Health and Safety rules so as to stop people from ignoring the safety aspects of building potentially dangerous places of work.

The clever thing to do is to be able to differentiate between the PC rubbish and the real safety guidelines.

As a bye-the-bye....

Did anybody read the result of the Buncefield oil and gas fire enquiry ?

It seems that blame has been put squarely on the heads of the company that run this storage depot because they did not follow health and safety guideelines.

The first tank that caused the explosion and fire failed in three particular ways as none of the safety features built into that tank worked as they should have.

See the full report here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/18/buncefield-fire-oil-company-guilty
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Jun 2010, 12:32 pm

Macca... you said:

I am of the opinion that companies make so called health and safety regs not for the benefit of employees but just so in the event of an accident they could not get sued. I myself have been sent on some ridiculos health and safety courses ie have to asses a workstation in an office.

But actually, they - the companies - don't "make" ANY of the "regs" they have to apply them by law. The H&S rules are designed and enforced by the H & S executive.

Having said this, I would agree that if the company do NOT abide by the H&S regulations they do leave themselves wide open for getting sued.

Find out about the H&SE HERE.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 20 Jun 2010, 2:06 pm

I do agree that the 'ambulance chasers' are not helping the country by encouraging this cynical 'Sue, grabbit and run' culture that has come over from the USA.

Health and safety legislation was brought in to help lessen the wave of industrial accidents which were caused by lax safety procedures in many factories. I worked under the HSE for many years as a lecturer and examiner for the First Aid at Work syllabus.

I would like to see this 'Compensation Culture' outlawed as it makes people wary of offering help in cases of illness and accident.

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 21 Jun 2010, 11:57 am

As usual, I see what you are getting at HG, but we need the litigeous culture to concentrate the minds of the companies that are avoiding their duty to H & S. If they are scared of getting sued by people who are injured because of such weaknesses then they might be more liable to stick to the H & S guidelines.

Anyway, if someone is hurt because of someone-elses negligence then they DESERVE to get compensation don't they ?.

I do agree that the cult of ambulance-chasers and their no-win-no-fee argument DOES encourage people to go to litigation even if they only have a slim chance of getting anywhere.

Like with most things this has to be tempered by degree !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Fri 25 Jun 2010, 11:58 am

In a PM Macca accused me of calling him a "troll" but as you can all see here that is not the case.

I just accused him of "making arrows for the rest of us to fire !"

As far as I see it that is not a very good way to start any discussion.

If Macca wants a public apology then I will give him one, but I honestly don't see any reason for doing so, do you folks ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 26 Jun 2010, 11:33 am

Cool it you two and don't be so touchy either of you.

Now, back to the core of the subject....please.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Fri 02 Jul 2010, 12:33 pm

As far as oil-companies are concerned, the health and safety rules are only applied when they are forced to apply them.

A recent report from official figures says that British North Sea oil exploration and production companies had been caught breaking H&S guidlines 500 times since 2006. Official figures released yesterday show that the Health and Safety Executive sent 446 enforcement notices to 30 oil companies between 2006 and 2009 and 26 more have been discovered this year alone.

Jake Molloy of the RMT union said "I am sure that I am talking on behalf of many offshore workers when I say that these figures do not even scratch the surface of reality!".
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 03 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm

That's shocking Zath ! Thanks for the gen !

It seems that even when workers are willing to whistleblow on dangerous lapses in health and safety rules the bosses either ignore them or they do not renew contracts on the whistleblowers next time round.

My wife's brother used to be a pipefitter on North Sea rigs but he found that there were so many rules being broken and bent that he decided not to go back even when the money was much better than he could earn as a plumber back home.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:30 pm